This talk was presented at API The Docs Virtual 2021 event series on 13 July. We are glad to present the video recording, slide deck and talk summary below. Enjoy!
Visit our talk recaps ToC page for an overview of all presentations!
The Modo mobile app is a digital wallet with a twist: to integrate all your bank accounts in a single application, but Modo is also a platform for integrating the app’s functionalities in the banks’ mobile applications. It is possible to pay directly from the bank account instead of using a credit card.
Laying out all the use cases that need to be solved.
OpenAPI and Swagger is used as the common place for our API ecosystem docs
The first API specification was designed in SwaggerHub that covered the initial use cases with 3 endpoints:
Benefits of SwaggerHub:
1. Something missing or wrong? Break everything!
You can make breaking changes if you are not in production. It is only a matter of communication as other teams are integrating while developing this thing
2. Integrate as soon as possible is a good way to learn
Integrating with multiple APIs at the same time, not only creating a new set of APIs, not only creating a platform from scratch, but also the technical teams were creating their own APIs inside their own VPNs
1. Top-down approaches are great for starting the conversation, but harder to maintain
2. Moving toward a new approach: first having the documentation in the code
3. Having 2 versions of the API was not enough: 3 versions of the API living together at the same time is reasonable
4. Open & Bidirectional and automated communication (as possible)
5. Dogfooding: test our own stuff
We are today building the foundation of a live ecosystem evolving together: trying to add the human part of the mix, and that we are together in this.